Monday, February 25, 2013

Square-Enix's Guardian Cross

I'm not really a fan of mobile/handheld games. I like a few iPhone/iPad games like Jetpack Joyride, Temple Run and Paper Toss and I play them just to be able to kill some time.

Until a few days ago, I decided to check if there are some games made by Square-Enix. I was quite surprised to see that indeed there are and they look pretty cool. I saw Guardian Cross and the description got me.






I'm a sucker for good artwork and a big fan of SE's artworks, particularly from Final Fantasy so I decided to download it. Plus, it's FREE! :D

I thought it was just some application that lets you view artworks of all the Final Fantasy summons, eidolons, aeons, guardian force or whatever you like to call them. But turns out, it's a full online game.

From the Square-Enix site:
"Guardian Cross is a creature-based card game that features a fully unique battle system in which players take on the role of “tamers” who capture, raise, and control powerful beasts known as “Guardians.”In addition to quests to unlock the secret of why the Guardians have woken after a millennium of slumber, other features include a coliseum system that allows players to challenge other tamers from around the world in head-to-head combat."

I tried it and immediately got hooked. As always, SE made a game that looks excellent. The game reminds me of Magic: The Gathering. I was glad that a game like this exists on the iPhone. I did some googling and found out that there's even a fan forum about it. I've been playing it for just 2 days but I already love it.

I was just casually playing it at first, just enjoying the pretty artworks, shooting some guardians, got some rare 3* cards that made me more excited and got some rare 4* cards from friends.

Then I tried out the colosseum and had 5 winning streak when all of a sudden my Level 10 Fast Angel was eaten alive by a Level 55 Jormungandr. That made me more excited. I immediately thought that people are playing this seriously and that there's some serious metagaming going on. That's what prompted me to search for guides and tips and found out about the forum.

For now, I'm keen on getting a Valkyrie and will level it up. I will continue leveling up my player and will see if I can fare well on the colosseum next time I enter it. Need to stack up some GP and Silver Slimes.




No comments:

Post a Comment