Saturday, January 5, 2013

Life is a Curse...and a Blessing. Thoughts about Children Who Chase Lost Voices *spoilers included*

The first time I was introduced to Makoto Shinkai's works was way back 2007, I think. I regularly visit an internet forum, especially the anime and manga section. I was still very active in reading manga and watching anime at that time. One thread was about 5 Centimeters Per Second. I got curious because the thread starter said "I cried manly tears". I had to see it.

And after a few years, I finally was able to watch his latest creation: Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

One thing to note about Shinkai's works is the luscious background/art. It is beautifully done. Very detailed. Very captivating. I had to pause on some of the scenes just to let it all in.

It is the same here on Children Who Chase Lost Voices. Although not as beautiful compared to 5 Centimeters Per Second, it is still very well crafted. However, because the film contains adventure and a bit of action, the scenes sometimes move too fast that you don't have time to appreciate the art. Good thing we still have the pause button :P

The world of Agartha was beautifully presented as well. From the Guardians to the Villagers, everything is well crafted. I am always fond of old and lost civilizations. And I had the same kind of fascination with Shinkai's version of Agartha. It kind of reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus.

Storywise, I think it's ambitious and epic. At least for me. Some say that the story is too grand that the film failed to deliver all the necessary details for it but I felt otherwise. I think that there were so much going on in the story that you don't have time to absorb everything in just one viewing. And that accounts its replay value. The story is just too massive (or at least, it tries to) that you can't give it justice if you just watch it once. And that's why I'm going to watch it again later :)

This film gave me the same kind of excitement and epic feeling that I had when I first saw Spirited Away. And Makoto Shinkai will always be one of my favorite anime directors.



No comments:

Post a Comment