Monday, September 24, 2012

On Epiphany and Realizing (What Isn't There)

I was looking at some of Annicka Dolonius' pictures when I saw an update on Ang Nawawala's Facebook page. It was a tumblr blog, a review about their film. It was a good review. The details of the film are well explained.

A few days back, prior to watching the film, I was wondering about the title. Why Ang Nawawala (What Isn't There)? I already read the synopsis so I pretty much have an idea of what it was. Or do I?

Initially, I thought it was his "voice". But no, I said to myself. It's got to be something deeper than that. Judging from the trailer itself, one can say that this film is deep. One that goes beyond a "missing voice." We were about to watch the film so I stopped pondering and the thought got lost somewhere.

But then this line from the said blog made me think again. "as he becomes almost like his dead brother – the one who isn’t there."

I said to myself, "yeah, that makes sense." But then images from the film's last few seconds came rushing into my head like MRT passengers during rush hour. I remember Esme with her eyes closed, saying "Sino ka? Wes, ikaw ba yan?" Gibson then said, with his tears falling, "Mom. Si Gibson po." I immediately then realized (or considered) that it is HE that was missing. Some might say it is obvious, some might agree, some might disagree. I haven't read any other reviews nor know what the true meaning of the title is. Albeit the title (What Isn't There), I consider Gibson to be the one that's missing.

He chose not to speak because he thought that after he saw his twin brother die, there's nothing important to say anymore. Plus, the trauma caused by witnessing his death right in front of his eyes must be very horrible. 10 years then has passed since Jamie died. 10 years has passed since he last spoke. 10 years has passed and Gibson is still searching for himself, that one lost soul. The one that should've been dead. The one that isn't there.



Ang Nawawala is a tale of tragedy, hope, love, second chances and rediscovering one's self served in a retro-ish backdrop with a dash of indie music.

No comments:

Post a Comment